Benefits of Physiotherapy. Who & How it Helps?
Physiotherapy combines profound information on how the body functions and uses medically proven procedures for the assessment & treatment of patients. Other than helping in the treatment/management of various conditions, preventive physiotherapy can help in maintaining the overall wellness of a person.
Below are some conditions/symptoms where physiotherapy has been proven to help in achieving the best possible results:
- Reduces/eliminates pain: Therapeutic exercises and techniques like Soft Tissue Mobilization or the use of modalities like Ultrasound, IFT, and TENS can help relieve pain due to Arthritis, Tendonitis, Muscle strain/Sprain, etc. and restore normal functioning. Such therapies also help in preventing pain from returning back.
- Helps to avoid surgery/drugs: While surgery cannot be avoided in some cases, physiotherapy can help to avoid the same by managing and healing in the earlier stage only. And even if surgery is required Pre and Post Rehabilitation Programs always help in mitigating the complications. Also, health care costs are reduced upon avoiding the surgery.
- Improves overall strength and coordination: Physical therapy involves usually exercise and stretches which ultimately help you in improving the overall strength of the body. It also helps you with exercises and assistive devices to improve the overall coordination of the body. By providing specific rehabilitation techniques a physiotherapist can help you in reducing and eliminating symptoms like dizziness, vertigo, etc.
- Improves Lung capacity and Cardiovascular Functioning: Physiotherapy helps post-stroke patients in regaining their degree of function, balance, and movement. Special exercise plans help them to retrieve their activities of daily living. While special breathing exercises help to restore optimal lung capacity and blood circulation.
- Managing Sports-related Injury: Physical Therapists understand how various sports can increase the risk to certain types of conditions like Golfers Elbow, ACL Tear, Hamstring strain etc. and they accordingly draft a proper recovery or preventive exercise program to ensure a safe return to your sport.
- Manage age-related issues: Certain age-related issues like Rheumatoid arthritis(RA), Sciatica, Osteoporosis, Dementia, Knee Replacement, Neck pain, Back pain etc can easily be treated by Physiotherapy.
- Restores normal movement/Improves mobility: If you are having restricted movement due to Joint fracture, Tennis Elbow, Joint Swelling or Muscle Stiffness physical therapy can help. Proper Stretches and Strengthening exercises can help you in restoring the movement to its fullest.
- Helps Managing Diabetes and Vascular conditions: Diabetic patients often complain of pain in the Knees, Shoulder, and Back, etc due to mismanagement of sugar levels. Diabetic pain management Plans and exercises can help in controlling sugar levels. Physical therapists can help and educate such patients regarding the conditions like Diabetic Foot, Diabetic Neuropathy, etc.
- Improves Women’s Health: Specific health issues like those related to Pregnancy, Postpartum care, Pelvic pain, etc. can easily be treated with Physiotherapy. It also offers special treatment for bowel incontinence, breast cancer, constipation, fibromyalgia, etc.